DAY 02 (07 total) May 15, 2026
Today it looks like a Sunny travel day. The temperatures, unusually low - not more than 64 F in the afternoon, but at least dry. So, it should be a nice ride from:
Ocean City, MD to Roanoke Rapids, NC (243 miles, according to Google).
I like going through the Delaware and Maryland and then a very picturesque Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
A small digression: it always baffled me why it is constructed that way... 2, separate roadway bridges run all the length (around 17.5 miles), but they converge to go into the tunnels (single tube tunnels).
Well, if there was a strategic reason for a separate roadway bridges, why make it so vulnerable, going through the single tube tunnels? Tunnels are the weakest points of the whole complex, and there is no redundancy at all...
I stayed in Hampton by Hilton Hotel - pretty comfortable. There is funny note:
It is the first hotel I stayed in, where the 'door viewers' (peepholes) have their own blinders - I do not have to put tape over them. I like my privacy...
The weather improved to the point, I finally took off my rain jacket and rain pants. When it's cold on the road (and riding at 75 mph creates 'windy condition' by itself) I wear the rain gear to shield myself from the wind. It works. But today, when I crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - Tunnel, the air became hot - even at high speeds. At last... I am so tired of this cold Spring.
As I mentioned before, I like crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - Tunnel. It's a fit of engineering, and it just feels right, exciting...
No comments:
Post a Comment