SLOGAN


IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION WHAT COUNTS - BUT THE TRAVEL ITSELF


- the first post about this travel is at the 'bottom' of the blog -

*** the list of the posts is at the bottom of the page ***

Friday, May 22, 2026

DAY 09 (14 total) OF THE JOURNEY NORTH-SOUTH (Southern Leg)

DAY 09 (14 total)   May 22, 2026

Leaving very friendly Hyatt Place hotel in Cape Canaveral and going to Homestead, FL, my last stop before hitting The Keys.  I heard horrors about the traffic in and around Miami, FL, so I decided to make sure that I will use rather 'country roads' instead the very heavy I 95.  I am going inland.  The distance is a bit longer: 252 miles, but still within my daily limits and with better traffic (although a bit slower).  
Maybe I will see some alligators, near by...


with my whole trip looking like that:


I would like to see the alligators from the distance. However, when I get into rural Florida - it may happen, that they are on the road (hopefully passing from one side to the other).

Official advice: 'If it’s blocking the road for more than a minute or two
Call Florida Fish & Wildlife (FWC) non‑emergency wildlife line:
1‑866‑392‑4286 (Nuisance Alligator Hotline)
They’ll dispatch someone if needed.'

And the adventure begins... ________________________ I avoided most of the traffic near Miami. Instead of I-95 I was passing Miami on Turnpike. However, there was a 'congestion' for a few miles before I reached Homestead. It was moving about 10 mph, no stopping, but took some time. All trip took 6 hours 25 minutes. And I have to admit, it was an exciting trip. I was hit by a violent storm (I had enough warning to put my rain jacket on)

and then, when it cleared there was a scare of another one. Have a look at the image of the other storm - I virtually rode around it, and got only a little sprinkle.

and I finished the day in Homestead, pulling in to a parking lot at the Floridian Hotel.


No comments:

Post a Comment