SLOGAN


IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION WHAT COUNTS - BUT THE TRAVEL ITSELF


- the first post about this travel is at the 'bottom' of the blog -

*** the list of the posts is at the bottom of the page ***

Saturday, May 23, 2026

DAY 10 (15 total) OF THE JOURNEY NORTH-SOUTH (Southern Leg)

DAY 10 (15 total)   May 23, 2026

Today is The Day of Completion of my quest - I am going to Kew West - to step on the Farthermost South point of the Continental United States.

But (always there must be a 'but'...)  Today is Saturday of the Memorial Weekend.  It's is THE WOORST (traffic wise) day of the year.  There is a single lane highway going to the destination, and it's going to be packed.
So, I decided to beat the traffic (It might work) and be on the road before 7 AM.  I know, no one would believe that I am for it.  But, YES.  Today, ma alarm clock went off at... 4 AM.  

Ahead of me are 130 miles of A1 - the single lane highway...

And this is the map of this, most significant (and beautiful) leg of my NORTH-SOUTH JOURNEY (with the map of the whole Southern Leg of my Journey, below).

When I get to the Key West My Journey will have amounted to 2140 miles (one way).  And then the Return begins (The return from the Northern Leg has been completed already)


_____________

As it turned out, getting on the road with the Rising Sun (at 6:30AM) was a great idea.  In the worst travel day of the year I didn't encounter any traffic on the mostly one lane highway to the Key West.  
I was returning before Noon, and the way back to Homestead was also smooth and fast.




I walked to the most Western point of the Key West, which is also very close to being the most Southern point of the USA (first picture is a location, and the second a reference showing the whole Key West.





So, officially, since Noon today I am on the last leg of the Journey - BACK HOME.

i am about 130 miles into the Way Back Home.


No comments:

Post a Comment